Friday, March 23, 2007

Mango Sorbet

I had some people over for dinner the other night. Andy and I made a green curry, and some mango sorbet from our frozen stocks. It. was. so. freakin. good. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures (the camera is still stupid, and I haven't gotten around to getting a new one yet), but this is what I did:

About 3 or 4 cups of mango, frozen. Cut it into blocks (with my handy Forever Sharp Knife that can cut through frozen items, tin cans, and even a hammer! Yes, that's right, a hammer! Order now and receive a free forever sharp paring knife...) and chuck it into a chopper or food processor and get it so it's roughly chopped. Then, I whipped it up with one block of silken dessert tofu (almond flavoured) and a leetle bit of soy milk. It could have been eaten on the spot, but I stuck it back in the freezer for about 4 hours and it was perfect. PERFECT! (However, the little bit that was leftover and sat in the freezer for 24 hours was hard as a brick, so let it sit out for a while if you make it too far ahead.)

Things I might do differently in the future: orange juice instead of soy milk; whip in some banana as well; use coconut milk instead of soy milk; add some shredded coconut to the mix. I think this is something we'll be playing around with for the next few months, especially considering the vast quantities of mango we currently have in the freezer.

3 comments:

KleoPatra said...

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE frozen mango! Your mango sorbet... oh that does really sound amazing with the almond-flavoured tofu and the dash of soy milk... Keep playing around with it, but this already sounds like a winner!

MeloMeals said...

Your Mango sorbet/ice cream sounds great!

bazu said...

I'm going to follow your example and stock up on mango and other fruits this summer! Fresh sorbet all next winter- woooo!