Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Apocalypse?

Australia is currently in a pretty bad state.

North Queensland is under water. 63% of the state has been declared a disaster zone--that's an area larger than the state of South Australia. It didn't rain yesterday, and it's dry today (except a little burst of rain just after sunrise), but more rain is predicted for tomorrow. We're fine, just a bit sick of gloomy weather and fighting a battle against the mold that's growing on every surface, and the ants who have moved indoors to get out of the rain. A lot of people are not okay, since their homes are flooded. A lot of cattle have been shot because they are stranded by rising flood waters. And a few people have drowned when their cars are flooded.

Much worse off are the Victorians, who not only have had to suffer unbearable heat--but are now either burnt out or at risk of fire. Nearly 200 people are confirmed dead so far, which apparently makes this Australia's worst recorded natural disaster.

Sorry to be so glum, but I just felt that I couldn't continue posting vegan food as if none of this is happening. Is it a sign of what we have in store in future, or just a freak year?

11 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

I really hope it's just a freak year. Stay dry and safe!

Sarah said...

Wow good luck :(

How is The Joy of Vegan Baking?...I've wanted to buy it for awhile.

DJ said...

I thought of you as I watched the News about the bushfires last night. Terrible, terrible news. We are currently experiencing the worst snow we've had for 20 years with Britain almost coming to a standstill last week through the bad weather. Keep dry and safe. xo

Amy said...

I felt a bit the same this week about posting about food. So many people have lost so much, and I felt kind of strange just rabbiting on about food.

Lets hope it's a one off and not a sign of things to come. Glad you, Andy and Nacho are safe and good luck with the mould (I empathize with it, bread has to be refrigerated at the moment).

Vaala ◪ said...

Yeah, we've been seeing this all over our news. It's pretty shocking. I really hope it's not a sign of what's ahead. Seems pretty freakish to me. Hopefully you guys are okay. You can always pop across the ditch to safety!

Unknown said...

Hope the rain comes soon!

Mike K said...

The fire reports I hear on the BBC or NPR are devastating. I guess we can hope it's just a freak year, but it echoes so many other natural disasters around the world. I think sometimes that it seems odd to focus on food in the midst of all the suffering going on, but I do believe that participating in the vegan community/movement is inherently a positive act, however trivial recipes and such may occasionaly seem. Be well, and I do hope the worst is over in your country.

Jackie said...

Sad to hear about the fires and floods. We have the same problem at the moment in South Africa but not on the large scale you have and we thank goodness have only a few deaths reported.

I am also having to battle ants due to the outside soil being so very wet. No a very nice Summer for anyone.

Veggie said...

I was wondering the same when I saw it on the news recently. It's all quite scary.

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

My heart goes out to all of you Aussies!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear how bad things have gotten for the people and animals of Australia. Hopefully this is a 'freak year'.

lyn Rose