Monday, October 19, 2009

Eggplant

Eggplant is one of those veggies that we often get, and rarely know what to do with. Our stock standard for a while was eggplant pasta sauce, or if we were feeling particularly ambitious, eggplant lasagna. Then we shifted to eggplant bharta for a little while. Then we had eggplant schnitzels about once a week.

But the thing is, eggplant is a fairly versatile vegetable. So lately, we've been trying to be a bit more creative with our eggplant meals, as these two examples illustrate.

First, ratatouille pizza. This was my first time making ratatouille, and I like it. Especially when it was paired with a thin, whole wheat crust and some olives. All this needed was some tofu fetta and it would have been perfect.

Here, miso-glazed eggplants. Thick slices of eggplant marinated and then baked in a sauce of miso, brown sugar, a bit of soy sauce and water. With a stuffed pumpkin (with mango-radish stuffing, which was strangely good), a salad, and roasted radishes. These are really good.

We've got another eggplant in the fridge, and Andy is off tomorrow for another long field trip, so if you have any excellent uses for eggplant, please share your ideas!

9 comments:

Susan said...

I love eggplant. It all looks great, but that miso eggplant is particularly tickling my fancy right now!

AMR said...

That's for Groover!!!

They look fantastic!

Kelly said...

Mmm, ratatouille pizza! That sounds like a great idea...

Tahn said...

It's funny, I have a couple of eggplants to use up too! I'll keep my eye on your comments to see if you get other suggestions :)

Tahn

Tamara said...

Great post. I've also got several eggplants in my fridge. I love it's versatility.

Could you pass along your recipe for the mango radish stuffed pumpkin? The stuffing sounds intriguing.

Thanks!

dreaminitvegan said...

Nice use of eggplants.

Vaala ◪ said...

Hmmm, I'm always afraid of cooking with eggplants so I hardly ever buy them so I have no ideas for you. Looks like you've done some pretty cool things with them already though.

Amy said...

Eggplant is one of my favourites. I don't eat nearly enough of it because the rest of the family are haters :( I'm loving the miso eggplant cutlets! They sound wonderful! (If only they hadn't discontinued my beloved chickpea miso :()

x said...

Ratatouille pizza is such a good idea!

I really don't cook eggplant very often, the last thing I did was those crumbed eggplant slices and I'm going to take your tip and bake them next time