Thursday, July 22, 2010

Tempeh and Eggplant

A few weeks ago (I'm very behind on posting) I was home alone and happened upon a reduced to clear package of tempeh.  I grabbed it, because I love tempeh but we rarely ever eat it.  I also had an eggplant on hand and wanted a way to combine the two, and in my searches I came across a recipe for tempeh and eggplant pot pies by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.  I looked at it, was intrigued, but didn't write it down.

But I think that my version of this was actually quite similar, despite the fact that I didn't follow any recipe.  I flavoured my tempeh and eggplant with fennel seeds, capers, balsamic vinegar and tomatoes.  This was a beautiful combination, deep and hearty and a bit sophisticated.

For my topping, I made the biscuit recipe from the brunch chapter of Vegan with a Vengeance, with the addition of more soymilk to make it spreadable.

I made the filling in my wonderful cast iron pan and then spread the biscuit dough on top and popped the whole thing in the oven.

This was so good I wanted to eat the whole pan in one go, but it was so filling that I got about 6 meals from it.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

This looks amazing. So perfect for winter! (Although, in all honesty, it's really not too bad down here at the moment. I bet you'll find it horrific in September, though :P)

I'm finding tempeh too expensive to buy these days too. My limited discretionary spending seems to keep going to chocolate... :D

K said...

I'm with Hannah, perfect winter dish!

Bianca said...

When I saw the post title, I immediately thought of those pot pies, even before reading that you also thought of them! Weird. I haven't made her recipe either, but it's been on my to-make list for a long time.

The casserole looks yummy! I know its cold where you are, and I bet that was a great comforting dish.

Vaala ◪ said...

I absolutely love tempeh...it is one of my regular staples but always looking for new things to do with it. Also never sure what to do with eggplant but this recipe looks amazing (and perfect for the freezing evenings we've been having lately). And there is something about a scone top on a dish like this...so good.

Vicki said...

I made those pot pies tonight - delicious.