Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Salad, on a vegan blog. How creative.

I'm not writing this post to talk about salad, though this one was particularly good (spinach, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cucumber, and raw corn). No, my interest lies in the glass of brown stuff next to the salad.

That, my friends, is the tastiest salad dressing ever. I kid you not.

I was flipping through the salad dressing section of La Dolce Vegan looking for some inspiration one night, when I saw a recipe for "Sesame Miso Dressing". I thought that sounded pretty darn good. But as I was making it, I remembered that we had some sunflower seed butter in the fridge (marked down from $5 to $1--score! we grabbed two and stuck one straight in the freezer). So instead of using tahini, I made "Sunflower Miso Dressing".

This is really that good. Somehow the simple combination of water, vinegar, maple syrup, miso and sunflower butter morphs a regular salad into a plate of edible heaven.

Maybe it's just a sign of my new obsession with sunflower butter. But it's not just me--Andy made this again two days later, and I had to refrain him from drinking the leftovers straight out of the glass.

17 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

The salad and dressing look so refreshing!

Unknown said...

I use a lot of miso. It can sometimes be bland and needs something to spice it up. It also makes great soup.

Anonymous said...

Being a sunflower seed FREAK - I completely understand.

Trying To Heal said...

reminds me of my lunch from today...and that dressing sound DELICIOUS!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

OOOoolala! Damn it, I don't have that cookbook!! That dressing sounds REALLY good though, lol!! Chew on the raw veg!! :0)

Pink Theory said...

mmmmm, that sounds tasty. I'm gonna have to give that dressing a try. I love cold salads especially now with the hot muggy summer.

Erin said...

That dressing does sound really good. I have yet to try this sunbutter...

Alicia said...

this proves that vegans only eat salad all the time, doesn't it? hehe. The spinach looks amazing, so green and fresh. And the dressing sounds really good too!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Oooohhhh....yum! That dressing sounds delicious. I usually buy my salad dressings, but it's so much cheaper to make it yourself. Since I don't have sesame seed butter, I'll try the tahini version. Thanks for the tip!

The Vegan Snorkeler said...

Oops, I meant I'd try the tahini version since I don't have SUNFLOWER seed butter (which sounds amazing, by the way!).

Bianca said...

I love the sesame miso dressing from La Dolce! But I bet it's way better your way. I still haven't tried sunflower butter, but I love sunflower seeds, so....

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

HEY theres nothing wrong with posting a salad! haha sometimes nothing beats fresh greens! (not to mention that dressing sounds awesome!!)

Vaala ◪ said...

Sunflower butter is great. And I love how a beautiful salad dressing can make magic of simple salad leaves. It's amazing!

Veggie said...

Wow, sunflower seed butter marked down from $5 to $1 that is a score! I love Miso in salad dressing.

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

that sounds amazing! I've never even tried sunflower butter, and now I'm really curious. :o

Vegan_Noodle said...

Woohoo! I have la dolce vegan so I need to bookmark this dressing now!

DJ said...

Ah - sunflower seed butter - I love it! That salad looks great!