Friday, December 09, 2011

Around the world in... Statues

We saw loads of statues on our trip round the globe.  Here's a few of the ones that struck my fancy enough to take a photo. (Click to see bigger photos.)

Is it just me, or does this Boy Scout statue in Washington DC seem a little inappropriate?  Small child, two scantily clad adults... One holding flames in her bare hand - ouch!

At the base of the Big Buddha, on Lantau Island, twelve Chinese warriors like this one had different hats on.  This one's hat is a bunny rabbit.

Though technically not a statue, this eagle pulpit in a Dublin church was cool enough for Andy to specifically request a photo.

In NYC's financial district, there are mushrooms growing.

In Central Park, some eagles attack a goat.  Anyone know what this one is about? I'm really stumped as to the symbolism...


Philadelphia, the city of statues, brought us this giant clothes peg...

A bit of love...

A lightning bolt, key, and kite in honour of old Ben Franklin...

A chunky guy in a suit...

Some board game pieces...

And... whatever this is.

In Scotland, we were a bit scandalised by this creation, outside the Kirk of the HolyRood (Church of the Holy Cross) in Edinburgh. Photos don't really do this justice: it is a goat, with horns draped over a man's naked ass, while the man cuddles a lion.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh, the gold! The sparkly! Lemme at the sparkly! #magpie

That LOVE statue is everywher! I always thought it was a Japanese thing because I took a photo leaning on it in Tokyo, but have since seen it all over the world via blogs :)

sgcorrie said...

I actually have a photo of a different statue in Edinburgh! Two grasshoppers, um, enjoying each other.

I'm LOVING your travel posts!

Kari said...

I love how varied these all are! Varied but nonetheless great. My partner has a thing about photographing statues and decorative bits on buildings when we're away - I confess I didn't used to pay that much attention but now I do, and there is a certain magic to many of them.

Millie said...

ho theresa I am having a giveaway. hope you enter to win..millie

http://nuestracena-vegancuisine.blogspot.com