It grew tall and vigorous in a pot in our front garden. It had loads of flowers, but they never set. And it had those white fluffy bugs, no matter how much we sprayed with soapy- oily-water.
This year, we googled to try to diagnose the problems, and decided that a lack of pollination was the likely culprit - damn lazy bees! - so I spent a few early mornings in the driveway with a cotton bud, hoping that none of the neighbours came out, as I wiggled around in the flowers, hoping to complete the pollination process and get some chillis.
|Check out the trunk on this plant|
My efforts were met with success when I saw a flower with a fat base, and watched for a few days as it showed decisive signs of becoming a chilli. But then it fell off, and my hopes were dashed. I completely gave up on the chilli.
Then a few weeks later, I noticed a dark green spear that didn't quite match the rest of the leaves. And then I noticed 4 more.
Chillis! I don't know if it was my efforts, or just chance, but we had finally achieved success with this plant.
|Nacho paws in the background|
But sadly, this is where the chilli's tale ends. Last week Townsville had a tornado, and although we were unaffected at my house, the wind did tip over the poor, top-heavy chilli plant.
So we picked off the fruit and put them into Mexican and curries.
|Rice and beans|
We could try to rehabilitate the chilli. But, Andy and I are buying a house! The contract goes unconditional tomorrow, and we move in April. So, unfortunately, this chilli plant won't make the move with us.