Thursday, August 01, 2013

Belated Birthday

Andy's birthday was, oh, more than two months ago! And we did celebrate on the day. But I was just looking through some photos and realised I never blogged about it. And it was a yummy, if junky, celebration, so it deserves to be blogged about.

For dinner, I convinced Andy that we should have a junky tater tot casserole. I even had to walk up to the grocery store to get tater tots at 6pm, that's how committed I was to the idea. Here's how you do it: bake the tater tots until they're just about done. Then smother them in tomato sauce, vegan cheese, and vegan bacon bits. Bake a little more.

This is one of those meals that is SO DELICIOUS while you eat it, and then you regret it pretty much straight away. But SO DELICIOUS while you eat it.

Despite our tater tot casserole regret, we soldiered on with dessert, because, birthday cake! Normally, I make Andy a trifle. But his birthday was in the second-last week of classes, and we were both very busy, so although I offered, he requested a self-saucing pudding instead. Which was good, because I think it was really cold that week.

I made individual ramekin-sized puddings, and then we flipped them out into bowls for beautiful, puddingy cake. A weensy bit of ice cream or custard would have been really great, but I'm not complaining!

We probably eat like this about once a year. I promise my next post will be much healthier.


8 comments:

Kari said...

I have never seen tater tots and didn't know they were in Australia! This looks like perfect birthday food - there are times to be healthy and times to be, well, not (and besides, I think healthy includes junk food sometimes) :-)

urban vegan said...

Happy belated b'day to Andy. And a couple of bowls of carby goodness is just what you need once in awhile, esp. on special occasions.

Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! And what is a birthday for if not to enjoy decadent and indulgent food sometimes!

Bianca said...

OMG! That tator tot casserole looks AMAZING!!!!! I could eat that every day (and sure, I'd feel guilty ... but that probably wouldn't stop me).

Theresa said...

Kari - we get them at Cole's, where they are sold as either Potato Gems or Potato Royals. Despite the name difference, they are identical to the tater tots I knew and loved in the US!

Mel said...

Happy birthday to Andy! I reckon you should be able to lash out and eat whatever you feel like on your birthday. Your tater tot casserole looks so good even though it may not be the healthiest meal.

Susan said...

I love tater tots! Or potato gems, to use the local term. ;)
Happy birthday to Andy!

Joey said...

I recognise that situation so much. It goes from "it's so good" to "I've eaten a bit too much" to "I might have a bit more" to "I think I'm about to have a food coma"! Still, you can't complain about a tater tot casserole coma!