Thursday, November 21, 2013

Prunes!

When I was a kid, prunes were synonymous with pooping - it was my Grandma's surefire remedy for constipation. "Pruuune juice" was always said with our noses scrunched up.

A few weeks ago after yoga class, we all went over to the teacher's house for breakfast. We had oats, and there was a little pack of prunes, so I had a few. And they were yum!

So I bought a pack. And then I saw a recipe in Celebrate Vegan for Seitan with Prunes, a Persian dish. I thought it sounded interesting, but we don't have any seitan and gluten flour is a bit of a hot commodity at the moment. So I made it with tofu instead.

I also added some yellow capsicum, just because. And served it over rice. This was SO MUCH BETTER than I thought it would be. The tofu simmered away with the prunes, some spices, and a little bit of stock. As it simmered, the flavoured seeped into the tofu, the liquid thickened, and the prunes softened into a delicious goo.

So different to our usual meals, but so very good. I'll never scrunch up my nose over prunes again.

9 comments:

Bianca said...

I don't think I've ever had a prune! I also grew up thinking they were just for constipation. And I think I was scared that, if I ate one, I'd have, um, bathroom issues. :-) But now that I'm all grown up, I should start eating prunes, like a proper adult. :-)

Kari said...

This is the second prune containing recipe I've seen recently that has looked delicious! I grew up scrunching my nose at them too, but clearly I need to re-visit them. Like Bianca said, they seem like a sign of adulthood ;)

Sandy said...

I love prunes and I always have! Though yes they are seen in our familiars a joke about being constipated- sad really because if they ate well they could just see them as another delicious food to eat! Love the look of this meal :-)

Carrie™ said...

I'm in league with Bianca and Kari...maybe I should try prunes again. You might have gotten us onto something.......

Susan said...

I love prunes, they are delicious! Though they need to be eaten in moderation, which can sometimes be hard to remember because they are so yummy.
Maggie Beer told a funny story on TV once that she had a prune tart that wasn't selling very well, so she changed the name to dried plum tart and then it sold really well.

Joey said...

I think prunes have been forever done a disservice due to constipation thing - I'd never eat them as a kid for fear of what they might do to me! Luckily, I rediscovered them as an adult, and now I love them!

urban vegan said...

Same here with the poop-prune association. But I have learned over the years, thanks to a Middle Eastern and North African influence, to love dried fruits like prunes, raisins and apricots, into many a savory dish. Glad you liked!

Shaheen said...

Hi I just noted your image from this post on another site http://travelingvegan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/mango-mousse-tart.html
Here is the link where it has been used without your permission. http://vegan-kitchen.co.uk/vegan-kitchen-mango-tart/
I came across this recently when I noticed they had originally used an image from my blog http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/creme-mango-lime-tart.html, then changed it with yours when it was pointed out. No apology was ever received. They just don't seem to care.

Shaheen said...

After notifying you of the image usage, i've just noted today that it looks like he has put a link to your blog now. Well at least you got the good grace of that, I never even received an apology when he originally used my image originally.