Friday, November 30, 2007

Fusion cuisine?

South Asia meets Mediterranean meets North Queensland.

First, Kumudha's Indian vegan omelette. A batter of chickpea flour and veggies seems simple, but the taste is divine. Andy thought it even had a hint of egginess. We made a few changes to Kumudha's recipe, because, well, that's how we roll. Also, we doubled it and got three big omelettes. This was so good. Make it. Like, soon.

We served ours topped with tomato sauce. Note: it's definitely best when hot, it's alright when room temperature, but quite ordinary when cold. Eat it straightaway!
On the side, was Potato Salad, from a recipe loosely based on a newspaper recipe.
The dressing was a mixture of tahini, tofutti cream cheese, soy milk, lemon juice, and mint. Andy thought it tasted like tzatziki. Either way, it was good.

7 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

oh yeah. i'll have a big plate of everything please.

Amy said...

That looks amazing. I'm coming for a visit so you can cook that for me!

I've had that recipe bookmarked for ages but been too scared to give it a go, but given how delicious yours looks and the rave review I might just have to make it and soon!

TB said...

Hi, I just discovered your lovely blog (yay, another PhD-ing vegan... there's a rather shocking number of us, actually!). I'm adding a link to yours on mine and can't wait to come back and explore when I have a little more time... For now, I'm mostly just feeling realy jealous of all your gorgeous tropical fruit... Ooh, and that potato salad. I used to love potato salad but have never tried my hand at making my own vegan version (although sometimes you get lucky and get some at a vegan restaurant). Anyway, you've inspired me!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

I was gonna make that omelet! I still can't find chickpea flour, but I love that you made it (and made it look *good*), cause maybe I'll look a little harder for that elusive stuff.

also, is that a ginormous lake of ketchup I see on top?? I so approve! ^.^

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

wow, South Asia meets Mediterranean meets North Queensland? Quite a fusion indeed!!

The omelette looks terrific - I like your idea of serving it with tomato sauce! I've actually never thought of serving it that way, haha. And the potato salad looks delicious as well! I've never had a veganized version of it before...

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

I've been wanting to ty a vegan omlette for ages! (Even though I never really liked regular omlettes!)

Anonymous said...

Yum!!!