Nacho loves to play inside of every empty bag or box that she can find.*
We ended up buying a whole kilo of sliced mushrooms for $3, plus 200 grams of organic whole mushies for $0.50. However, reduced to clear means they will go off soon, so we had to use them quickly.
First, one whole package of sliced mushrooms was turned into a mushroom and garlic cream sauce, which was poured over gnocchi (our dinner the night we went to see Les Mis).
Thursday, the first day of the Chinese New Year, we made mushroom wraps. To add a bit of chinese flavah, the mushrooms were baked (since I had the oven on for a cake) with five spice powder and soy sauce. After they came out of the oven, I drained the juicy stuff and stirred through a few scoops of plum sauce. Then I sautéed some onion and capsicum in the juice drained from the mushies, and we wrapped it all up with some cucumber and tomato.
After a late night on Friday, mushrooms were a welcome addition to a big cook-up brekky.
[I seem to have left this photo at home, so expect it in a future post.]
* Yes, those are plastic bags—we almost always use green bags, but need plastics to line the rubbish bin so we get a few every now and then.
Two more things... Blogger's current #1 blog of note is Grace Potter and the Nocturnals. If you are unfamiliar with them, be sure to check them out. I totally dig their low-key sound, and, I went to uni with Gracie before she left to pursue her musical career.Also, I saw a cool feature in Sunday's paper, so in honour of V-day (a day late), here it is...
Love in new places
- Count the stars instead of the number of carats in a diamond ring.
- Join an animal rights organisation such as PETA instead of buying a fur coat.
- Stretch out on the grass instead of lying on the latest leather sofa in a designer showroom.
- Walk barefoot through the morning dew instead of buying the latest stilettos.
- Smell flowers from your garden instead of the latest perfume.
- Love yourself instead of changing to fit in with the crowd. Then settle for nothing less than someone who feels the same...