Sunday, October 20, 2013

Bacon Cake with Satay Ice Cream

I recently made a batch of Peanut Butter Chai Ice Cream from Let them eat vegan! I thought the mix was really tasty before it went in to the ice cream maker. Andy said it tasted a little bit like satay sauce, but we both liked it in frozen form.

It's creamy and rich and you just need a scoop to feel satisfied.

Then the other day I made a coconut cake. I got home at 7.30 at night, and had to have a cake made before I left for a research trip at 6 the next morning - you see, cake is an important data collection tool. So I was in a bit of a rush, and out of cocoa powder. I threw together the Coconut Heaven Cupcake recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance, in whole cake form - something I have done many times before. This time, though, I saw the coconut oil and thought it would be great. I let Andy lick the bowl as I put the cake in the oven, and he thought it tasted a bit.... bacon-y. I didn't want to admit it, but he was kind of right. The coconut oil gave the cake a strange aftertaste that really does taste a bit like bacon.

It wasn't overpowering or terribly unpleasant, so I brought the cake anyways, but had leftovers to bring home. To mask the bacon flavour a bit, we had a piece with ice cream.

Bacon cake with satay ice cream. Surprisingly delicious.

3 comments:

Kari said...

My interest was piqued by the title and your story didn't disappoint - and I am really rather glad that the goal wasn't to make bacon cake with satay ice cream because that would be odd, whereas this random coming together of flavours is delightful :-)

Joey said...

I was slightly terrified of what I might read when I saw that, but I kind of like the idea of satay ice cream. It's the reason I'm not a huge fan of satay normally - it tastes too much like dessert for me!

veganmiam.com said...

Whaaaaaat? Bacon cake with satay ice cream?!