Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A Gluten Free Meal

When I heard about kristy's diagnosis with coeliac's disease, my first thought is: I could never go gluten free! I've always felt bad for people who don't/can't eat gluten, because it is one of those pervasive ingredients that is in everything, and that is really, seriously delicious. But then I had a think about it, and realised that my reaction to gluten-free is probably similar to omnivores' reactions to veganism. And I realised just how many of the things we eat are naturally gluten free. So, while I still wouldn't wish an enforced gluten-free diet on anyone, I am now thinking a bit more positively about the whole situation and have taken notice of the gluten-free meals that I just so happen to eat.

Like this one...

Red Lentil Dhal with Brown Rice, deliciously flavoured with mustard, cumin and coriander seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and lemon juice.

For dessert, tapioca pudding. Now my earlier experiences with tapioca pudding were Not Good. We had it in school sometimes, and it was watery and reminded me of fish eggs. But I now love the gooey-gummy texture, and when it's cooked and flavoured properly it's actually a very enjoyable dessert.

Tapioca Pudding

1/4 c. seed tapioca (those are the tiny balls)
2-ish c. rice milk (or other gluten-free non-dairy milk)
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 c. desiccated coconut
pinch of salt

Mix everything together in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower heat and simmer, stirring almost constantly, until it is thick and the tapioca pearls are cooked through, about 30 minutes. Pour into dessert bowls (or wine glasses, if you don't have fancy crockery) and chill for at least an hour.

Before serving, top with whatever fruit is in season -- in our case, delicious Keitt Mango.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

tapioca pudding is one of my favorite childhood food memories! love that one of your tags is "indian-ish." so funny!

Mihl said...

I have the same mixed feelings about being gluten free. I bake so much bread and it just wouldn't be the same without gluten...but then there are so many great foods that can be enjoyed which are completely gluten free, like your yummy dal.

K said...

Thanks Theresa! It's actually kind of nice to hear others find it hard because it felt like everyone else but me found it easy. I've actually been having some similar thoughts though and I've started going through my older posts and find all of the gluten free posts, good to know that at least some of my old meals are ok. Still not much though.

I've heard great thing about tapioca pudding though, so am going to bookmark this recipe.

Gina said...

I tried going gluten free for awhile, and it is more frustrating to me than being vegan....but I don't think it is as terrible as it initally sounds either! My sister in law has celiacs also, so I'm more aware of it now. Your dahl looks awesome...yummy :)

Hannah said...

I don't think I'd have a problem missing things like bread or pastry, as I've grown up in a wheat-free household and subsequently tend not to crave gluten-based products. But I think the tricky thing, as you say, is how pervasive minor amounts of gluten are!

Love the look of the tapioca pudding, although I'm a sucker for any dessert with cinnamon :) I'm wondering, though, is seed tapioca similar to sago? We have a rather large and barely-used container of sago back home, so this might prove a pleasurable means of using some of it up...

Bianca said...

I've been gluten-free for 20 days now on this cleanse I'm on. I have 6 days to go, but I'm planning a cheat day for Saturday (and I WILL be having bread!). I gotta say, I was afraid of missing gluten when I started, but I don't miss it nearly as much as I do coffee, red wine, and sugar.

That being said, I look forward to my next PB&J Sandwich.

The dhal and pudding look amazing!

Theresa said...

Hannah - sago and tapioca come from different plants but look and taste the same, according to the internet. Only difference is that sago probably needs to cook longer, and thus may need a bit more liquid.

steph said...

Mmm red lentil dahl is my favourite. So delicious!

Mike K said...

Enjoyed your thoughts on gluten free diets, and you make a great point about perceptions between omnivores, vegans, and gluten free folks.

Love the red lentil dal (I've been on a serious lentil craze lately), and I'm pretty jealous about the in season mangos :) - the pudding looks delicious!

dreaminitvegan said...

Wow I can't remember the last time i've made tapioca pudding. Yours looks so good and with mango! uhhh!
Your right about the gluten thing I mean alot of the reactions from people are what can you eat? Just like when they ask when people find out you are a vegan. Now I don't have a huge problem with gluten like my son but there are so many things you can eat it just takes some adjusting is all.

BrisVegan said...

I feel for gluten free folks, too. It is in everything and can cause serious illness for those who can't have it. My brother in law has family who are coeliacs, so I have seen how hard it is to avoid.

I often take gluten free cupcakes to events, to cater for my BIL's family or to give a choice to everyone. I think it they often end up with a similar choice to vegans, what they brought along or nothing. Since I am baking anyway, I figure I can do gluten free and give everyone another option. The GF recipes in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World work well, with commercial GF flour instead of Isa's options.

By the way, the tapioca pudding looks great. I think I will use your recipe and make some tonight.

Trucking Factoring said...

I was always scared of Tapioca when I was younger because it reminded me of fish eggs. Now I enjoy popping them in my mouth!