Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fancy food

I'm not sure why, but some of our meals have had a very fancy feel to them lately. Like this pasta, from the Gourmet Vegan cookbook. I think the recipe is called "Fettucini with zucchini, almond and mint" or something equally as creative. The main ingredients were... fettucini, zucchini, almond, and mint. We also added carrots and capsicum, and used veggie stock instead of wine. The mint gave it a lightly zingy flavour, but neither Andy nor I were totally impressed with this dish. A good summery meal, though!
We had the pasta along with this fancy salad Andy made. Although I've done it heaps of times before, fruit in a veggie salad makes me feel very posh. I love grapes, strawberries, and mango in salads. For this one, Andy cut up some orange. Other ingredients are lettuce, cucumber, tomato, avocado, and beetroot, and dressed with Apple Balsamic vinegar and salt and pepper.
Another night, we had a veggie-full meal. Asparagus spears are much more elegant than cut-up asparagus. These were sauteed in olive oil, salt, and pepper. The bruschetta has tomato, parsley, olives, and capers. The glowing white blob is garlic and parsley mashed potatoes.
For dessert, how about a brownie sundae? I made SusanV's fatfree and fabulous fudgy brownies, to send along with some cookies for friends. Andy and I kept a few that wouldn't fit in the box. Since I used mango flavoured silken tofu in the brownies (which you can't really taste), we served the brownies up with So Good's new Mango Coconut Swirl soy ice cream, and some fresh mango chunks. Yum!
And don't worry about washin up, Nacho's got that covered.
I couldn't resist, I'm obsessed with her! And she is obsessed with water. She loves playing in the bathtub after we shower, climbing up on buckets of fishtank water, climbing around the sink... I thought cats hated water!

8 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Nacho is just so cute it's hard to believe! And that dessert looks delicious :o)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i love fruit in veggie based salads, especially strawberries and oranges. i usually make a dressing with the jam of the fruit i plan on using in the salad for layers.

Amy said...

OMG that kitty is so adorable! More Nacho posts!!!!!!

bazu said...

I love the fancy meals, they all look wonderful (even if some were underwhelming in real life). I could go for some pasta right now... and a kitty cuddle!

Anna said...

Nice line-up! I reckon Nacho steals the show though. You know what they say about performing alongside kids and animals...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE your fancy, elegant meals - everything looks quite delicious!! I love the abundance of vegetables and fruits; and that sundae is to-die-for!! Glad that Nacho could help with the clean-up process :0D

Ashasarala said...

Pictures of Nacho makes me even more impatient to get my kitten!

That bruschetta looks mmm mmm good. Ah, bruschetta, how I adore and miss thee! It's been a while, but I just got my brand new Vegan Italiano so I'm sure I can find a recipe or two. :)

Minnie said...

The food looks lovely! Having sweet teeth, we often have grapes in sandwiches. I'm lucky having a daughter who likes fruit and veg:O) She peels the skins off the grapes, though..and tomatoes too.

Our young cats like water. I can never have a bath in peace in this house, as I somehow end up with three nosey young felines in the bathroom. Meg lazing on top of the laundry basket and the other two parading up and down the side of the bath tub. It's like they're guarding me. They haven't fallen in, yet! Don't know why they're so intrigued by water.