Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Mango season is back....

I posted about mango season last year, twice actually. But really, this is a big deal in my life. If you look on my facebook profile, one of my interests is "mango season". This is the time of year we look forward to all year. Last year, Andy and I bought tray after tray of fresh, local mangos, and cut them up to freeze, and we enjoyed frozen mango for the rest of the year.

The start of the season is a bit of a tease. You watch the mangos show up on the trees, too small and green to pick. Then you see a ripe one on the ground, of course half eaten by a bat. They are too expensive in the shops and markets, so you wait. But then, they start to get bigger. They develop a gentle blush. And all bets are off. Andy picked these when my parents were visiting. Most are common mangos, but the three bigger ones are Bowens.Here's a common mango being cut into. Their flavour is okay, and the flesh is a bit stringy. If you bought these you might feel a bit ripped off, but it was a good way to ease into the season.Since we had so many, we made the Mango-Ginger Tofu from Vegan with a Vengeance. It was pretty good, especially considering the mangos were mediocre. But the recipe made so much marinade! We've got a full spaghetti sauce jar of it full in the fridge.
We've got a few months of mango season left, so expect many more mango-y creations...

13 comments:

Amy said...

Yum! I adore mangoes (I don't have anywhere to grow them here though and not sure how well they'd do but 99c each isn't too bad). I've never thought of cutting them up and freezing the flesh, that's a great idea! I just go without and miss them for most of the year.

Can't wait to see all your mango-ey good creations!

Liz Ranger (Bubble Tea for Dinner) said...

that's so romantic, watching mangoes ripen on the trees... you're so lucky to have access to fruit like that!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yeah, i'd love to have mangos trees near me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kumudha said...

I love mangoes. For me, summer means mangoes. I vividly remember while growing up, in India, I used to eat mangoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

India has variety of delicious mangoes. Unfortunately these days it is hard to find quality mangoes in Bangalore also. Markets are flooded with mangoes infused with chemicals.

I'm so happy that you tried Indian vegan omlette.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Theresa, you have NO idea how envious I am of you, with having gorgeous, juicy mangoes in season!! I miss mangoes so much during the frigid, produce-unfriendly winter months. Enjoy them for me!! Well, it looks like you already HAVE, with the lovely dishes you've incorporated the mangoes into :0)

Ashasarala said...

I love mangoes, especially in my smoothies. Never thought to actually cook with them, though. See, my mind works on a very slow clock, but eventually an alarm will go off. ;)

vko said...

I love mangoes soooooo much! Can't wait to drool over infinite mango posts -hurray! It will help us through the winter...

bazu said...

Noooo! Your mango season means my frozen season! And, just like clockwork, there's a foot of snow on the ground outside...
I'm really grateful for tropical bloggers like you keeping us warm!

Anonymous said...

i cant wait for my mango season!!

TB said...

Beautiful fruit, beautiful food!

Pink Theory said...

holy moly, you are soo lucky to have easy access to all those fresh mangoes! that is one of my favorite fruits...i sometimes like them when they are not quite ripe and still a little sour and i dip pieces of it in a little salt mixed with chili flakes and eat it that way. i know, its strange. i learned it from my mother who is Thai.

Anonymous said...

hey, I eat mangoes like that! ever since I was a kid in Brazil, rarely ever with chilli though, just the salt most of the time, in Brazil,I used to just take the salt up to the mango tree, and pick them and eat them up there...
ahhh... good memories! now I have to pay a dollar fifty for one at the store