Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Chickpea Cutlets, two ways

Thanks to Celine for pointing out the online version of the much-blogged-about Chickpea Cutlets from Veganomicon, I have finally tried them out. After hearing numerous excellent reviews, I had scribbled down the recipe and then came across a few not-so-great descriptions.

I decided to try them anyways, and to stick to the recipe for the first test. My only change was to use fresh sage instead of dried, and to form them into nuggets, rather than cutlets.

I thought they were surprisingly easy to make, and they didn’t take long at all to cook. The flavour was fairly simple, and was perfect dipped into a mixture of tofu mayo, hot sauce, and tomato sauce. They were a bit chewier than I expected, almost stringy even after they’d been cooked; not a downside per se, but a bit weird.

The next time around, we had less than a quarter cup of wheat gluten but decided to make the recipe anyways. This time, I mashed the chickpeas a bit more than before. Instead of water, we used a salty veggie stock. We added probably twice as much multi-grain bread crumbs than the recipe called for, and filled in for missing wheat gluten with plain flour. Instead of lemon, sage, and paprika, we opted for lime and coriander chickpea cutlets. We replaced the soy sauce with lime juice, used lime zest instead of lemon, and added a healthy amount of chopped fresh coriander. These were formed into cutlets and fried up.

These are a winner. Andy and I both found the texture much more appealing with the addition of extra bread crumbs. The flavour combination of lime and coriander is always a winner in our house. I topped my cutlet with plain tofu sour cream, and Andy had BBQ sauce. Andy envisions chickpea cutlet burgers in the future, since they are so much easier to make than our current seitan burgers. I think we’ll keep playing around with this recipe, trying out different flavour combinations and textures.

Chickpea cutlets are definitely a winner, I think.

8 comments:

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

yr version of the cutlets sound great! i love experimenting with recipes, making them my own to fit our tastebuds.

Anonymous said...

Mmm. That sounds like a delicious way to make the cutlets! I'm a big fan of them, and I think they're great base for any kind of personal modifications people want to make. =)

Matthew Ruscigno said...

I've had these once and indeed felt that they could be improved upon. Well done. I am going to try to make and post some good recipes. I can't promise that I'll try, but I'll try to try.

DJ said...

I'm definitely going to try then out now, the variations sound yum!

Amy said...

You always come up with great on-the-fly recipes. I'll have to try this variation.

the little one said...

I'm no where near talented enough to mess with any recipes so I love that you do it for me! I made the chickpea cutlets as well and strictly followed the recipe. I have to say that I absolutely loved them! I had to borrow my friend's Vegamonicon (sp?) to make them so I'm glad to hear the recipe is also available on the internets. [Less to buy -- right my anti-capitalist blogger? :)]

Ashasarala said...

Yeah, I found (and so have many others) that creating your own version of the cutletts makes them that much better. The original recipe is just too plain and, as you said, stringy.

Mike and I like to add more veggie broth to get rid of the stringy-ness and heavily bread 'em before frying them up! Anything with a crispy outside gets my vote.

TB said...

I like all of your ideas for these, particularly the idea about upping the breadcrumbs. I found that I MUCH prefer the cutlets baked rather than fried, so you might try that, too.