Thursday, January 31, 2008

It's so good

For vegans in Townsville, there is not much variety in vegan processed foods. One grocery store in town carries Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese. There is no vegan sliced or block cheese. And there is one brand of ice cream to choose from: Sanitarium So Good. Luckily, they’ve just come out with a new flavour: Coconut Mango Swirl.

When you see the ‘97% fat free’ label, you might think it’s not so good. Especially if you’ve tried their chocolate ice cream, which was more like frozen yogurt, in my opinion (good in it’s own right, but not ice cream). But the new flavour is creamy and rich, yet somehow manages to stay light and delicate. The coconut flavour of the ice cream is not overwhelming, but just tickles the taste buds. The mango swirls make for a surprising burst of mango flavour, with pieces of real fruit. Natural fruity flavours mean the ice cream doesn’t need to be overwhelmingly sweet.

Healthy as well as delicious, and great on its own, or alongside fresh mango or brownies: this ‘frozen dessert’ is the perfect antidote to a tropical vegan sweet tooth.



P.S. Kevin Rudd, Australian PM, has set a date for an apology to the Stolen Generation on behalf of the government. Maybe the police should apologize for the alarming number of indigenous deaths in custody, including the one on the Australia Day weekend. Unrelated, I know, but these are the things I contemplate while eating ice cream.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum!! I used to be addicted to that stuff until I discovered So Delicious decadent stuff.

K said...

The new flavour is my fav australian based ice cream (in a tub).

I wish they would come out with a chunky one with cookies or nuts or something.

Ashasarala said...

You sure do love your mangos! Speaking of which, I plan on making a mango salad dish for work lunches next week. I've only ever had mangos in smoothies, so we'll see how it goes.

I dunno if I'm a huge fan of fruity ice cream. I think I'll be a pig and stick to cookie and chocolate flavours.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

served up with the mango looks HEAVENLY - I've been able to find quite a few good mangoes lately, which has been a blessing (since I am, like you, quite smitten with them)

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i LOVE fruity ice kreams! this one sounds like something I could get hooked on.

ChocolateCoveredVegan said...

Oh boo! In your last post, I saw the coconut ice cream and was intrigued by it, so I'm sad to know it isn't available in the US... oh well, I guess I will have to make due with my long-time favorite, Creme Caramel Wholesoy. Enjoy your ice cream for me!