Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Mangos

As per Bazu's request, photos of our mangos. They're not the best photos, since they were taken with an underwater camera, but they show the massiveness of the R2E2s.
Don't mind my silly face. The big one is the R2E2, and the smaller one (still big, mind you) is the Bowen, a very sweet and juicy variety grown an hour south of here.

And here's Andrew with the R2E2. Apparently they were selectively bred by the CSIRO (an Australian research thingie) to be big and not so stringy, and the plot they were grown on was the junction between row R and row E--hence the very creative name.

7 comments:

bazu said...

Thanks much! Those are massive. I'm drooling. How can anyone not love mangos?...

Dan said...

I love mangoes. But they're so messy! You have lots of patience to peel them. :)

Theresa said...

Peeling them was sticky business, but so worth it!

The first R2E2 ripened the other day, so we ate it--not as good as the Bowens. Not stringy, but much less mango-y. We're going to freeze the rest of those and use them in mango-banana smoothies and sorbets and things, because they're a bit of a let-down to just eat. :( But, it was so big, one half of it filled me up for lunch!

Steven said...

Impressive mangos...

Why does my manhood suddenly feel threatened? ;)

Steve~

Dan said...

Mango-banana smoothies! Yum!!!! I'm booking the next flight to North Queensland! :)

Nikk said...

Those mangos are fabulous!

urban vegan said...

I have mango envy. I wish I were a tropical vegan instead of an urban vegan in a chilly climate.


I am so curious about scuba diving--and your comments on my blog made me want to ask you about it. I was going to take a resort course in Cayman, but we only had a few days and I didn;t want to leave the husband all alone. (He's not interested.) Is operating the equipment hard? I am NOT mechanically inclined.