Thursday, March 29, 2007

Vegan Voice

A few days ago I received a copy of Vegan Voice, an Aussie vegan magazine, in the post. It wasn’t a surprise or anything; I’d ordered it earlier in the week and had a few personal emails back and forth with the editor. I would have read it all in one go, but there was just too much—it ended up lasting me 3 evenings, in which I did nothing between dinner and bed but read this. It’s that good.


I am so glad I found out about this magazine. I’ve read VegNews, but knowing all the advertisers and products mentioned are based in the US was a bit disheartening. I have been craving a good vegan network here, and I found a bit of one in this mag. It’s not as visually impressive as some magazines, because it’s in black and white—but really, who needs colour when the focus is largely on the articles? Because that is where the focus lies. As Andy said when he flipped through, “it’s very text-heavy”. That is not to say that there were no photos—there were actually quite a few, especially some gorgeous photos of animals.



The March-May issue seemed to be centred on the theme of climate change, and many articles and news briefs focused on the environmental repercussions of a meat-centred diet. But, it wasn’t pushing veganism solely for its environmental benefits; rather, most (if not all) pieces highlighted the ethical and health implications as well. There were a few interviews with activists, a few book and movie reviews, and some news pieces about animal rights and veganism, among heaps of other things.


I would recommend a subscription to this magazine (very cheap, especially considering what you get, and compared with some other magazines!) even to people outside of Australia. I think it’s good to keep an eye on what is going on in terms of animal rights globally, as well as just in the US. But definitely, if you’re in Australia, pick this up.


7 comments:

KleoPatra said...

i'm thinking about getting this. Thanks for the head's up. As a journalist, i'm forever on the lookout for new reads. And i don't mind "text heavy" periodicals, either. THANK YOU!

MeloMeals said...

I will check that out... definitely...

and Charolette's Web.. My FAVORITE story as a child.. or at least one of them... I haven't seen the movie, but I KNOW I have read that story at least 1000 times.. no joke.. I would re-read it at least once a week for many years.

I'm weird like that with books.. I re-read many of them.. they are like comfort food.. and I had no TV growing up..

Amy said...

Hi--I'm a semi-vegan and former student in Australia. I like your blog, especially the recipes. Good luck in your studies.

bazu said...

Thanks for letting us know about this magazine. As soon as I saw the quote on their website ("let us ask what is best, not what is customary") I knew this would be a publication right up my alley!

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa!
Thank you a lot for sharing this post. Just I needed this kind of vegan magazin. It will be my first vegan magazin in America.
Charolette's web is great.
Good luck to you!

vko said...

Sounds like something I need to check out- thanks!

And yes, I loved Charlotte's Web as a child and as an adult. Loved Babe too...makes sense as we all have a thing for animals.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

thanks for telling us about this publication - after reading your post, I'm interested and will check it out.