Monday, August 13, 2007

Roasted Mushroom and Red Lentil Cakes

I saw this recipe on Vegetation's blog last week, and had to try it out. Over the past few weeks, I've tried a few 'meet loaf' recipes, and haven't really been satisfied. This one sounded promising. Crunchy outside, soft inside, healthy and tasty, especially served along with sauteed broccoli and red capsicum...

The result wasn't the prettiest thing I've ever eaten, but it was good. My recipe was basically the same as hers, but I used ground LSA (linseed, sunflower seeds, and almond) in place of walnuts. And, I had to add a fair bit of extra flour to firm the mix up. But still, the mix was really yummy! Since the oven was on, we made some garlic bread.

A bowlful of gravy sat between Andy and I, and we both poured heaps of it onto our plates. After we finished eating, Andy started to eat spoonfuls of the leftover gravy, but I had to stop him. Drinking gravy just seems too gluttonous, even if it is vegan and virtually fat-free.

An inside shot of the lentil cakes.
A winner! I might try baking this as a loaf, or maybe as patties. The texture would be good as a veggie burger, methinks. And since spring is in the air, and making me sneeze up a storm, patties might be more seasonally appropriate.

5 comments:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Should I imagine Andy with his shirt "on" or "off" as he's drinking gravy?! lol! I really enjoyed the tour of your new place! Very cool and the food coming from your kitchen is looking yummy! :)

Theresa said...

Shirtless, of course! There were a few chilly weeks when he wore shirts and sweaters all the time, but now that it's back above the 20s he's topless!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

man that gravy looks wonderful. i'd like a big bowl of mashed potatoes drowned in gravy.

Anna said...

These mushroom and lentil cakes are twice tested now! I'll have to try 'em. Yeah, drinking gravy does sound kind of wrong, but I have to admit I was doing something similar the other night after making Isa's chickpea gravy. I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover great vegetarian gravies!

Good luck with getting through those springtime sneezes. If you're not averse to antihistamines, I find telfast (or the homebrand version) helps...

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

the lentil cakes sound delicious!! the gravy sounds like a great accompaniment, as does that garlic bread :0)