Thursday, August 27, 2009

You're sweet.

A few vegan sweet treats.

First, chocolate cups with raspberry coulis and custard. I got these chocolate cups reduced to clear from the grocery store--I saw that bright green sticker and crossed my fingers and was pleased to find they were ninja vegan. I filled the cups up with cinnamon custard and then topped it with simple rasbperry coulis for a sweet and fancy-feeling end to a meal (with actually very little work).

My other sweet on offer today wasn't a dessert... it was dinner. You know how kids have this dream that when they are grown-up they'll eat chocolate for dinner and stay up as late as they want? Well, that's what Andy and I did a few weeks ago. These chocolate pancakes (from Vegan with a Vengeance) were begging for an ice cream topping, but unfortunately we got to the grocery store 20 minutes after it closed. Instead, we whipped up some strawberry syrup with silken tofu for a creamy strawberry topping that went really well with the chocolate pancakes. I wouldn't suggest eating like this on a regular basis, but for a naughty Saturday night it was a great dinner.
Yummeh.

7 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh yum, the pancakes with strawberry syrup look delicious...you should post the strawberry syrup recipe if you can I'd love to try it.

Amy said...

I LOVE those chocolate custard cups!!! Mmm I could happily munch one right now (it's getting to that time when dessert starts to beckon!)

Love the pancakes too. I have breakfast for dinner on occasion, usually waffles. It's wonderfully good for a treat!

Bianca said...

There aren't many reasons to love being a grown-up, but chocolate for dinner is definitely one of the few. Beer and sex are the others.

Theresa said...

Bianca, I love your take on adulthood. I literally lol-ed when I read that!

vegan.in.brighton, the strawberry stuff was literally one block of silk tofu (300 ish grams) and a few tablespoons of strawberry ice cream topping from a bottle, blended and chilled for a bit. Easy peasy!

Amy said...

I also love having breakfast for dinner - best dinner ever. I love those chocolate cup thingys! What's in the cinnamon custard? I was never a fan of 'regular' custard, but I suspect I'll like vegan custard!

Sweet William white chocolate on top?

Theresa said...

Ha, vegan white chocolate in Townsville? No, that's another blob of custard, half a walnut and some shredded coconut on top. The custard was another cheaty recipe... soy milk, custard powder, sugar and cinnamon! Woolie's homebrand custard powder is (was?) vegan, and Andy loves custard so we bought it. The custard recipe from The Joy of Vegan Baking is yummier, but a teensy bit more work!

Vaala ◪ said...

Those chocolate cups look delicious. I like the idea although I'd have to make the cups from scratch since I've never seen anything like that here vegan or not.

Sometimes I've had nights where dinner has been dessert instead...you have to do it sometimes!