Thursday, November 17, 2011

Windows to the soul

One of my favourite things about Switzerland was all of the adorable window decor, so here is a post dedicated to the shutters and oriels and frescos that we saw.

In the town of Appenzell...


In the castle known as Schloss Laufen, in Rheinfell...
In the really charming town of Schaffhausen...
Yeah, that's a skeleton wearing a pirate hat inside this oriel.


In Stein am Rhein, where Andy wondered how people go about their everyday business when their town feels like such a fairy tale...

My favourite house in all of St Gallen,  based on our very brief tour of the place, and primarily due to the Bright Red Shutters!

I've honestly never given a second thought to shutters before visiting Switzerland, but now they are on every imagining of a dream home that pops into my head.

2 comments:

Keren said...

We ended up in Schaffhausen for an afternoon by mistake (our tour guide left us behind at Rheinfall!) but we were so glad we did - it was so much nicer than anywhere we could have gone in or near Zurich in the spare time we had. The architecture through the middle of the town was just so beautiful, I love your window shots!

Kari said...

I've never given a thought to shutters before either, and now I'm wondering why on earth we don't have them here. It makes such a difference to the building!