Thursday, June 11, 2009

Plate o' curry

It's cold here. Last night it was 8 degrees. To keep warm, we have been eating lots of oven food and thick, hearty stews.

Indian food is always a good way to keep warm. This plate is super full because I eat a lot. At the front is dhal, made along the lines of Peter Singer's recipe. Red lentils, tomatoes, lots of spices, coconut cream and lemon juice make a great combination. I added a bit too much coconut cream and made it soupier than it should have been, but it was still yummy. To the right of the dhal is some eggplant bharta. Or at least, that's what I call it. It's actually just eggplant cooked for a long time with some oil and curry paste. It gets really soft and delicious. Both curries were served with some brown rice, and I put on some soy yogurt at the table. This was a very good meal.

Nacho keeps warm by cozying up with Andy's dirty laundry.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Ugh, how cold is it?!?! I love that warming looking dahl. Yum!

Awww Nacho, what an adorable place to keep warm!

x said...

And I thought our 14C day yesterday was chilly!!

I have never made dhal but I really should as yours looks delicous! I want a giant plate of food for dinner now :)

Amy said...

As always, I agree with Nacho.

Mmmm dahl. To spruike my own site, here's our recipe for dahl: http://members.optusnet.com.au/cameron.ashurst/recipes/Cam's%20Dahl.pdf

Tee hee!!!

Gina said...

Yummmmm. I love Indian food, your dish looks super good!

Kati said...

Aww, Nacho. My cats do that all the time, too - both dirty and clean laundry.

I love dahl. I've never put coconut cream in it, though - sounds delicious!

Vegan_Noodle said...

Indian food is a great way to stay warm! I love bhartha... it's one of my favorites (though I've never made it myself, how lazy of me!)

Wish I could send you some of our Texas heat!

Bianca said...

I don't think I've ever experienced weather that cold. Its been the 90s here! Its still so neat to me the way weather works on opposite ends of the globe! Even with the intense heat here, I'd love a plate of that yummy-nummy Indian food.

Vaala ◪ said...

Just realised how far behind I am with everyone's blogs of late. Again those curries look good. It's so cold here so curry sounds highly appealing.

Plus Nacho looks so cute as usual :)

Blogger said...

3 Researches PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming coconut fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medical journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!