Monday, September 07, 2009

Brunch

Who would have guessed that chickpea power is such a wonderful ingredient in brunch? Isa Chandra Moskowitz, that's who. I don't know how she figures out her recipes, but I'm pretty sure she is a goddess.

First it was the chickpea flour in her Fronch Toast recipe. That was a revelation, especially after a few attempts at other recipes involving silken tofu, apple sauce, and other messy ingredients. Fronch toast is easy to put together and doesn't involve any blenders or food processers, so it's a great recipe for the morning.

We love our Fronch Toast served up with jam and even a bit of tofutti cream cheese.

But then Isa reached new heights with an omelet recipe that actually works. I've tried a few other omelet recipes that have resulted in mushy tofu scramble because they just don't hold up. This one did, and it tasted divine.
Andy thought it was a bit weird--apparently his idea of an omelet involved the filling being mixed in with the batter and cooked like a pancake, so next time I'll try that. And he thought it could be a dinner, rather than a breakfast, but then he's a breakfast grinch.

9 comments:

Gina said...

I actually hate the taste of bean flours, although I seem to be alone in this feeling. I actually made the omelet batter and it tasted so gross it completely put me off from eating it.

I definitely agree that she is a goddess though!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Awesome brunch fare!

DJ said...

Everybody is raving about these omlettes - I have to give them a try! I'm with Andy, though - I was brought up with omlettes that more closely resembled frittatas, mainly I think because my mum was all about time-saving cooking and throwing it all in one pan seemed to be the best way!

Theresa said...

Gina, I learned the hard way to never, ever taste batter with raw chickpea or soy flour in it. They make me gag, and the flavour stays in my mouth for way too long. Have you tried them cooked? They are much nicer that way. I still sometimes accidentally lick my finger as I'm scraping off the spoon, but if I think about the end result I can manage to overcome the yuck-factor!

Vaala ◪ said...

Ah, brunch...my favourite meal!

I have to try Isa's omelet recipe 'cause I've only heard awesome things about it...yours looks so good.

Thinking of it I should probably try french toast at some stage...never ever had it before vegan or not.

Amy said...

I really want to try that recipe! I'm in love with brinner - breakfast foods are better when you're wide awake to enjoy them!!!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love that omelet recipe and I have to get on and try the french toast - it looks delicious.

x said...

Looks goooood! Is that omlette tofu-free?

Theresa said...

Mandee, there is tofu in the omelette but I reckon you could use mashed cannellini beans in its place if you can eat beans. Kristy has posted the recipe here: http://bluerthanpink.blogspot.com/2009/07/oh-my-god-vegan-omelets.html

But instead of nut yeast I used miso, and I used plain salt because we don't have black salt in Townsville!