Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Asparagus

For the past few weeks, asparagus has been on serious sale. We’re talking $1 a bunch (normal prices are $2.50 or more). The asparagus isn’t exactly local—it’s grown in Victoria—but it’s heaps better than the usual stock which comes from South America. Asparagus is good in so many ways, especially those in which it can shine without competing with a lot of other flavours.

In this dinner, we roasted asparagus with radishes in soy sauce and garlic. Roasted asparagus is sweet, which went beautifully with the mellow spice of radishes. This dish was served alongside roasted potatoes with kalamata olives; a raw salad; and (the poop-looking things in the back) pulp nuggets.

Asparagus is no doubt the star of the show in this Asparagus Tart. And this was the epitome of easy. A sheet of frozen puff pastry, a thin layer of vegan alfredo sauce (leftover from pasta the night before), and asparagus spears, baked for 20 minutes.

The asparagus gets tender, the puff pastry gets flaky and the tang of the alfredo sauce ties it all together without overwhelming.

And finally, steamed asparagus spears with salt and olive oil. Serving whole spears of asparagus feels very gourmet, in my opinion. It also makes me think of that scene in American Beauty where the husband tells his family he blackmailed his boss and quit his job.

These spears accompanied a not-so-gourmet mixture of mashed sweet potatoes and sautéed onion, crumbled tofu, grated carrot and fresh corn.

9 comments:

Amy said...

Mmm I love asparagus! I especially love that asparagus tart in the middle there! And you're right, there's something about whole asparagus, it's just so elegant.

Alicia said...

I just can't wrap my mind over the fact that you have spring down there. I know, it's not that difficult, but I'm freezing and suddenly you show me asparagus! :-). I'm jealous too.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Asparagus = loooove.

Lily on the Road said...

Thank you sooooo much for the detailed recipes, being newly veggie, I'm loving trying out all of these suggestions!

Thanks

Bianca said...

Ah, I miss asparagus season!!! It comes up here in late March and early April. Damn...we have a whole winter to get through first. I wanna move to Australia.

Anonymous said...

the asparagus tart seems so good!

Anonymous said...

I've been on an asparagus binge myself, lately.
We've got $1 bunches in Melbourne too! It's awesome!

UndergroundCooking said...

Not everyone remembers food from the movies they see! If they do you know they love cooking. And what a great movie by the way - thanks for reminding me. I'll put it on the list for this week :)

Vaala ◪ said...

Ooo, thanks for the ideas. I hardly ever by asparagus and never really know what to do with it.