Monday, November 17, 2008

New recipes

I’m home alone again for a few weeks, but this time I’m trying to avoid the unhealthy laziness (and busy-ness) that took over last time Andy was away.

At the same time, I am fairly busy, and it’s stinking hot here... so I don’t want to spend heaps of time in the kitchen. So I’ve been trying out a few new recipes that don’t take much effort—I’ve found La Dolce Vegan a key resource for this style of cooking.

To use up the baby wombok from the fridge, I flipped through cookbook indexes until I found La Dolce Vegan’s Tomato Cabbage Soup. It was too hot for soup, so I left out the stock and served it over rice. I also added 5-spice powder, because I was using chinese cabbage and it just seemed appropriate. It was good, and took about 10 minutes on the stove.

With the leftover rice and the other half of cabbage, I put together a variation on Indonesian-Style Rice with Tempeh from Vegan Planet. Instead of tempeh, I crumbled up some seitan from the freezer. Topped with cucumber, this was a perfect meal for a hot day.

Cooking for one, at least for me, means constantly trying to keep up with using veggies before they go off. Somehow I ended up with about 12,000 potatoes (maybe I exaggerate) so to use them up I tried a recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance—Stewed Tofu and Potatoes in Miso Gravy. Instead of tofu, I used more seitan, and I added some corn to the mix as well. I expected this to be a very heavy meal, but I was pleasantly surprised. The combination of white wine, thyme and miso makes for a delicate and tangy gravy.

Expect even more new recipes in the weeks to come, as I've been taken on board by Urban Vegan as a tester for her upcoming cookbook!

8 comments:

Vegan_Noodle said...

Sounds like you've been making the rounds of vegan cookbooks!! And how exciting to be a tester for UV!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Fabulous recipes!!

Trying To Heal said...

fabulicious recipes!

Anonymous said...

great recipes!

Amy said...

Mmmm I love the idea of switching some tempeh and tofu and stuff for seitan! I'll have to start trying that, it all looks yummy.

Anonymous said...

Those look yummy! The cabbage soup looks like comforting kim chi!

Nicole said...

12,000000 potatoes? Wowee! ;)

the little one said...

Damn you're lucky! I can't wait to hear about the testing!