Saturday, February 20, 2010

Croissant

Last weekend Andy made me a gorgeous batch of croissants. Following the recipe from Vegan: Over 90 Mouthwatering Recipes for All Occasions, Andy mixed and kneaded and rolled, and became a bit frustrated. The instructions were fairly vague, but I was familiar enough with the process of making croissants -- the rolling and buttering and folding and rolling again, to make nice flaky layers -- to interpret the recipe for him. He followed it as it was written, with just one roll-butter-fold step.

Two of them were intended as dessert that night, and were rolled up with dark chocolate inside for a yummy sweet treat.
For extra decadence, he served with some chocolate soy ice cream.

The remaining four were saved for breakfast. I toasted them under the griller, spread with jam, and served with fruit.

These were good, full of buttery rich flavour, but they weren't quite flaky enough. When we make them again (which I fully intend to do), I'll add a few more roll-butter-fold steps to try and get that authentic croissant texture.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! i've never made croissants at home before (from scratch at least..i used to make those pillsbury refrigerated crescents ALL the time lol) nothing beats a buttery croissant with jam :)

Anonymous said...

that's the life :)

Anonymous said...

that's the life :)

x said...

Yummo! Croissants are one thing I wish were vegan! I too want to make some but the long process has been putting me off.

Gina said...

I am very impressed that you guys made your own croissants! Not something you see too often, and I used to LOVE croissants.

Hannah said...

Vegan pain au chocolat - who'da thought?! I'm not a big croissant person but do have them every Christmas morning. We definitely buy them, though! :P

Jamie G said...

I have that cookbook too but haven't made many things from it - the things we did make didn't turn out much like the pictures at all! :/ Do you have any favourite recipes from it?

Theresa said...

Jamie - I've been thinking of doing a cookbook review soon, but overall I've been pretty happy with it. Favourites are the corn fritters, and at christmas we made both Creamy Mushrooms (in the breakfast chapter) and Black Forest Cake which were both beautiful and delicious.

Amy said...

Nom! We have that cookbook too, but I think we've only made one recipe out of it.... :(

vko said...

Yummy! Am back-it's been so long that a few blogs that I read aren't even vegan anymore, so am thrilled to see that you are still making lots of good vegan eats! gee, haven't had a croissant since forever...
vko

Annemi said...

I was drooling at your croissants! I attempted to make similar ones for my bfriend and other friends but they said the croissants were too sweet! unbelievable ;)

Anyway. I've been reading your blog for a month or so and am fascinated!I'm a person who THINKS she can't go on living without eating meat weekly but somehow I'm drawn to your vegan dishes, hmm...

Keep on posting and greetings from the other side of the world! (Finland)

Anne