Monday, June 04, 2012

Comfort Food

One day a little while ago, Andy had to spend a full day at uni - he had an experiment that took 10 hours to run, and needed things to be done every hour. Knowing he would be exhausted, I thought a slightly junky dinner would be a good way to welcome him home.

I smashed up some corn flakes in the mortal&pestle, mixed them with coconut, polenta, and spices. I coated some seitan strips in flour, then dipped them in soy milk, then coated them in the crumbs.

To go along side the seitan fingers, I whipped up some baked sweet potato fries, and some roasted brussels sprouts.

Perfect end to a long day.

8 comments:

Joey said...

I'm a recent convert to seitan - really like the cornflakes idea. And brussels sprouts with it? Just doesn't get better!

Anonymous said...

love me some comfort food! those fries are calling my name! yum!! thanks for sharing!

Bianca said...

Those seitan fingers look delicious. I know that would make me happy after a 10-hour work day (not that I've ever had a 10-hour work day).

DJ said...

Oooh, Theresa, this just sounds perfect! I first read about the American penchant for breadng stuff with crushed cornflakes in Paul Zindel's 'Star for the Latecomer' and I have wanted to try it ever since. I fthink my breading frenzy is imminent... :)

Kate said...

Looks delicious, comfort food is the best! Do you make your own seitan? I've tried to but it always ends up too spongy ...

Kari said...

What a lovely dinner - certainly perfect for after a long day. My brother is doing his PhD in molecular biology and I do find the time commitments (and exact timing) necessary for experiments to be a bit mind blowing. My own research is not at all the same - thank goodness!

Carmen Varner said...

Oh my goodness. This looks scrumptious. I still need to get into the seitan thing. It's officially on my grocery list!

Hannah said...

So you're pretty much the best lady in the world. He must have been over the moon :)